Friday 14 November 2014

Day 198 - 5 Dewhurst Cottages

This week my parents have lived at 5 Dewhurst Cottages for 40 years!

We moved into TN5 6LG about 18 days after I was born!  Back in the 70's, mothers had to stay in a nursing home after giving birth for ten days.  After that we moved in with Mum's parents in High Brooms for just over a week - apparently the delightful Doreen was a joy to live with during this time!!

What a fab place Dewhurst was to grow up in - freedom, countryside, safety, friendship and love.


I was so lucky, what a place to grow up - looking back on it I really appreciate those years!!  In those days kids could go off with no parental concerns, and with the Piper bros went off on our BMX bikes and built camps in the woods (Skull Island!!).

With Adam and Stephen living next door it was like having brothers but with the added bonus of giving them back at the end of the day :-)  I will always have a soft spot for Sheila, Len and Sandra at number 6!!  Sandra's bedroom was next to mine and we used to knock on the wall to say goodnight!!

Whenever I go back it is like heading home, love Jackwood but Dewhurst is where my heart is.


No wonder I didn't leave until I was 33!!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment