Monday 11 August 2014

Day 103 - Strasbourg!

At 11:21 I left Basle and headed for Stasbourg on the train, I departed in rather bleak conditions and thankfully after an hour and a halfs journey I arrived into Strassies sunshine!

Jumped off the train and with no time to waste (as I like to squeeze as much content into my holidays as possible - isn't that right travel companions?)....I went straight to my hotel - the delightful Hotel Villa d'Est.  Checked in and then headed to the Place de la Cathedrale to meet Gabriel my free tour guide!


Before I met him I had just enough time to down a slice of fromage and jambon pizza!!

Yes, I did say free guide, the concept is that the tour is free and you tip what you think the tour is worth! Interesting concept!

So I met my hat wearing, long bearded, smoking a roll up guide and knew instantly it would be a blooming good few hours. 


A Canadian couple joined us and we visited lots of squares, sights and scenic viewpoints. In Gabriel's grandparents life Strasbourg changed from French rule to German rule 4 times....how crazy is that?  

We ended at a viewpoint in Petite France which is beautiful, slightly tarred by the stories from Gabriel about sypholis, rape and discarded bed pan contents.....so then Gabriel put his hat on the floor like a busker and we left our tip....he did well from the group!

By this time it was nearing 5 and what does that mean?  Beer o'clock of course!  Tried to track down a bar I saw with happy hour but couldn't find it, so ended up back at my hotel.  But the garden was sun drenched....beautiful pint of Heineken and a bowl of pretzels were very much enjoyed!

I'm now showered and off to find dinner!  I have a restaurant in mind....so let's see if I can find it!

Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment