Friday 29 August 2014

Day 121 - Ganesh Chaturthi

The Ganesh Chaturthi is a festival dedicated to Lord Ganesha and it lasts for 10 days, and it starts today!!!  Ganesh is the god of arts and science as well as intellect and wisdom (so with the latter two I am not sure why I have such a bond with him!!).  He is also known as the remover of obstacles and is easily identified with his elephant’s head.

I have been lucky enough to be in India during the Ganesh Chaturthi twice.  In 2009 I drove through a small village in Karnataka and we stopped to see wonderful festivities – what stood out for me was the boy dressed up in all his finery!  The picture I took of him in his festival dance is still today my favourite ever photograph!!  A lucky instinctive photographic moment that I will cherish forever.


The second time was in 2011, in an off the beaten track part of Tamil Nadu.  I was staying in a tented camp and decided to go for a walk and found myself in a village just as the heavens opened.  I sheltered under some trees with a few locals and before I knew it I was given a cup of Chai and invited to their village’s festival – the next thing I knew the drums started, the children danced and Lord Ganesh was brought to the village on a tractor.  This is one of those experiences that makes India so special. 


The festival starts today (29th August) and will end on the 8th September.  Before the festival, skilled artists prepare clay models of Ganesh.  On the 11th day devotees carry the statues through the street in a procession accompanied by singing and dancing, with it ending with Ganesh being immersed in a river or the sea.

As well as the festivities, devotees clean their houses to prepare for Lord Ganesha’s arrival into their homes.  During the 10 days of celebrations special prayers, chants and singing are performed as well the distribution of special made sweets for the occasion.

Gotta love Ganesh! I'm a little bit of a Ganesh stalker - picture at work (see above), pendant on my chain and his abstract image tattooed on my arm!  You all know I'm a tad weird, that's why you love me!

No comments:

Post a Comment