Tuesday 12 August 2014

Day 104 - "Too sweet, Nope!"

So last night with my restaurant in mind (picked from TripAdvisor), I headed out to find it! After a lot of searching I finally found it to my excitement.....but then I noticed it was closed, until the 29th August!  Typical!  So I then wandered the street looking for a menu that had English, isn't that bad - but I'm a tad fussy and need to know what's in my grub!

I came across L'Argentoratum!  It was busy and served traditional cuisine - so with things on the menu I liked in I went. For starter I opted for the smoked salmon, grapefruit, shrimp and pineapple salad - which sounded interesting, very naively I forgot it would be drowned in some dressing even though none was mentioned on the menu...I managed, and it was actually nice!

The main course completely caught me by surprise!  I ordered the meat and mushroom crepes in a creamy sauce.....what turned up was interesting, three beef burgers in a sauce with sautéed potatoes!!!! Did I miss something? Anyway as service wasn't that speedy I didn't complain and it did look delicious - and it was!


Discovered a new beer - Meteor Pils! It's Cosmic! But you will be impressed as I only had a half with dinner, how controlled.....

So that was last night and today is the full day tour to the Alsace Winelands! Writing part two from my hotel garden with yep, you've guessed it a pint!  And pretzels....

I decided to have breakfast out, so coffee and croissant were very much enjoyed at the Cafe Broglie - nice little buzzy place with a traditional feel.

At 09:30 I met Florence our guide and guess who? The Candian couple from yesterday, also two sisters from Quebec and a couple from Korea!


The first vineyard stop was in Barr, at the Domaine Bachert Noelle winery.  Here I took notes of the wines we were trying, and Holly (Canadian girl) saw my review and laughed and from then on it became the catch phrase of the trip "Too sweet, Nope!"  This was a tiny family run vineyard and the tasting and talk was by the owner, which was nice and it felt personal.

Ok, I know I'm a bit dippy but I didn't realise that the Alsace region was known really for its white wine, the only red is the Pinot Noir.  And the Riesling, Pinot Gris and Muscats tend to be sweet!  Sweet and white...Oh well, open your mouth and pour it in....it's all wine at the end of the day!

Second stop was my favourite, Schaefeer-Woerly - owned by a lovely couple.  They showed us their cellar and I even got to try a Pinot Noir, so lush that I bought a bottle!  Here's a tip red wine lovers pop your Pinot Noir in the fridge....lovely chilled on a summers day!

The rest of the day was a similar pattern, beautiful scenery and two more wine stops! Second two were bigger producers and lacked the personal touch of the first two!  These Alsace towns are beautiful - quaint cottages, cobbled streets and funky little nik-nak shops!


I have to say our guide Florence was superb, laid back, fun and extremely knowledgeable. I sat in the front and chatted to Flo all the way back to Strasbourg....the six youngsters in the back all fell asleep after their day with the wine!  No stamina...

Right dinner and light show at the Cathedral! Au revoir. 

No comments:

Post a Comment