Sunday 22 March 2015

Day 326 - "Somerset Saturday Part 1"

I'm Tunbridge Wells bound, whizzing cross country on the train.....so I thought lets get this blog started!!

So here we go with "Somerset Saturday Part 1".....I opened the curtains to blue skies, so on went the shorts....and by 09:30 we were out the house as Mads had a full day's itinerary planned :-)


First stop was a new experience for me, a lovely beach area called Kilve.  Great views from the headland, and down on the beach were lots of fantastic rock formations, many of them containing fossils. 

Then back into the car to a very special place for me - Porlock!!  I spent many holidays here with the family and heading back here brought the happy memories flooding back....including Englebert the pheasant in the cottage garden (named by nan) who lacked tail feathers and the grumpy old woman in the Harbour Stores who would only allow Grandad one pint of milk a day.....


We wandered around Porlock and Mads showed me Medieval graffiti on the crypts in the church of St Dubricius....some dating back to 1591....the Banksy of a bygone era!!?

Then it was time for lunch, and I had a yearning for a good old steak pie and my new "love" Otter Ale....so we headed to Porlock Weir and the Ship Inn, where both my needs were satisfactorily met!!


We wandered past the Harbour Stores and I almost popped in for a pint of milk!  Then a stroll along the beach where Mads and Shiny gathered lots of driftwood for next year's bigger and better Christmas tree. 


Next time on Somerset Saturday - did the Periwinkle still do my Nan's prawn salad and were we too late for a cream tea in Dunster!!!!???

No comments:

Post a Comment